Nothing lasts forever, does it? Sadly, this holds true for our electrical appliances as well.
Like every other machine, your electrical appliances are prone to faults. There will come a time when you’ll start noticing evident signs of it nearing its end. When this happens, your appliances require immediate attention.
You may be tempted to think that it’s just a minor fault—what’s the worst that can happen?
To be fair, a faulty appliance can do a lot more than just stop working. It can damage your electrical wiring, cause power surges and worst case scenario, it can lead to fire incidents.
Here’s why repairing your malfunctioning appliance should be the first thing on your to-do list.
Tripping Circuit Breakers
If your circuit breaker trips whenever you open your microwave, don’t just flip it back on. Malfunctioning appliances often send an electrical surge to your wiring, causing your circuit breaker to trip.
With every attempt to turn on your appliance, you’re sending a surge of electricity to your wiring, increasing the risk of a short circuit.
If you think it takes more than just a ‘faulty appliance’ to burn your wiring, you have one thing coming. Faulty appliances often produce large power surges—a surge like this only takes a second to melt your outlet wiring. In addition to that, it can often burn connectors in switches and other electrical components.
Damaged Surge Protector
The circuit inside your household appliances uses sensitive microprocessors, which can be easily damaged due to a power surge. This is where surge protectors come in. Used in conjunction with major appliances, they protect the internal circuitry of your appliances in the event of a power outage or lightning strike.
However, a surge protector only protects your appliance from incoming power surges, not the ones caused by appliances sharing the same circuit.
Heavy appliances like refrigerators and air conditioners send small electric surges whenever you turn them on. In case of a fault, this supposedly small surge turns into a much larger one, often damaging other appliances that are connected to the same surge protector.
Malfunctioning appliances aren’t just a risk to your home’s wiring, which is why they shouldn’t be taken lightly. What may appear like a minor fault, can trigger electrical fire due to short circuit, putting your life and property at risk of fire damage.
Dealing with a malfunctioning appliance? RHK Electrical has you covered!
Operating in Cypress, TX, we provide services for repair and installation of electrical appliances. With years of experience, our electricians can deal with all sorts of electrical problems.
Contact us today and let us take care of your troublesome appliances!