The Hazards of Faulty Wiring

The Hazards of Faulty Wiring

Mr. Smith was known to be a smart guy. He was always top of the class, and was even the captain of the basketball team. He flourished in his professional life, secured a great job, got married, and even bought a beautiful home.

But one night, he woke up to the smell of burning wires—his family had to rush out from their home.

It turned out that he was ignoring faulty wiring in the house, which led to a short circuit and an electrical fire.

Not so smart, after all. Now, you don’t want to be like John, do you? We figured. So, let’s discuss the warning signs of faulty wiring that you should always look out for and the hazards it presents to your home:

Warning signs of faulty wiring

Here are some warning signs that something is wrong with the wiring in your home’s electrical system:

  • Scorched electrical outlets. This is perhaps the most straightforward sign that points to faulty wiring. If your power outlets are exhibiting signs of melted plastic or a darker hue, it means that the wiring is generating heat, which is an indication that it needs to be replaced. This puts your home at significant risk of an electrical fire; hence, it’s crucial to take prompt action. Don’t plug anything in until the issue is resolved.
  • Flickering lights: Another sign of faulty wiring is flickering lights, especially when the lights only generate a buzzing sound or get dim when there’s another electrical appliance plugged in at the same time.
  • Breaker shutting down frequently: A circuit breaker trips automatically to prevent damage to the electrical system in case of an overload. If it happens once in a while, it’s not a big deal; but if the problem occurs regularly, the chances are that there’s a problem in your home’s electrical wiring.
  • Electrical outlets getting warm: Often, electrical outlets doesn’t show signs of being burned, but become very hot. This is also an indicator that the integrity of the electrical wiring in your home is compromised. You can place your hand over the outlet (not the wiring itself) to check the temperature.
  • Burning odor. If there’s no physical sign of damage on the electrical outlet, but you smell burning or charring smell, it’s a sign that the excess heat is damaging your electrical wiring and needs to be replaced.

Hazards of faulty wiring

If the wiring of your electrical system is damaged or does not function properly, you run the risk of electrocution, short circuits, and electrical fire. All of these incidents can significantly damage your house and put you and your loved one’s life in danger. Faulty wiring is something that you should take very seriously.

If you notice any of the warning signs of faulty wiring, it’s imperative that you immediately call a professional electrician to evaluate the electrical system of your home. It’s highly recommended that you don’t attempt to fix the issue by yourself to avoid electrocution and/or short circuits.

If you’re looking for an experienced electrical contractor in Magnolia, TX, get in touch with us today! At RHK Electrical, we specialize in electrical installation, repair, and maintenance.

Our experienced electricians will carefully evaluate the condition of your home’s electrical system, identify faulty wiring, and perform timely repairs to keep your home protected.

Call us at +1 832 948 6019 to find out more!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *