How to Pet-Proof Your Electrical Appliances

How to Pet-Proof Your Electrical Appliances

Pets are our best friends! They’re loyal, cute, lovable, and great at cuddling. You can never have a dull moment when you have a furry friend running around the house.

However, when they do run around the house, you need to make sure they’re taken care of! We recommend starting with your home’s electrical system.

Here’s how you can safeguard your pet from it:

Never leave pets unattended around electrical appliances

One of the riskiest threats to your pet’s safety is exposed wires and outlets. Even if you know that exposed outlets are not to be approached, your pet doesn’t. They don’t know what to touch and what not to. In fact, most pets love chewing on wires.

To begin with, make sure no heaters, lights, or fans are free-standing. They should be hoisted to a level that is out of reach for your pet. Other than that, don’t keep your appliances plugged in when not in use. Moreover, keep the wires to the side. This will prevent your pets from tripping over.

pet cat

If possible, move them out of sight. You could either tuck them behind doors or behind the appliance itself.

Keep all wires well-insulated

When your wires are insulated, they don’t conduct current to anyone who comes in contact with them. Even if you don’t have pets running around, your wires should be plastic-protected.

Research states that even 0.05 amps of current can cause significant skin damage—or worse, may result in a heart attack. Now compare this to the amount of current that flows through a common American household, which can go up to 15 amps! Since plastic is a non-conductor of electricity, it’ll prevent even the tiniest amount of current from penetrating through your pet’s body.

Get your home rewired!

Faulty and deteriorated wiring also poses a grave risk to other inhabitants of the house, If your property is more than 30 years old, there are chances that it has its original wiring. Old and outdated wiring is usually more susceptible to faults and eventually causes the system to trip.

Other than tripping and blowing fuses, faulty wires are also known to be one of the biggest causes of electrical shocks. If your wires are made of rubber or lead-insulated cabling, they’re probably outdated and need to be rewired. Modern wires are PVC coated and are colored, either grey or white. When you bring the wiring of your house to the current standards, you’ll be mitigating any risk associated with electrical fires.

Whether you want an in-depth electrical inspection of your home or a complete home rewiring, there is no better option than RHK Electrical. If you’re based in Cyprus, TX, you can book our services by calling +1 832 948 6019.

You could also contact us online.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *